First of all, congratulations that you have decided to change your body and lifestyle. Now you have decided to join a gym and you don’t what to do and how to do. This is where a trainer comes into the picture to guide you properly according to your goals. Now here are some key points to choose a perfect personal trainer for you.
1. Certification: Make sure your trainer is certified or has a degree (International certification is the ideal one). Indian institutes are not up to date and you can argue on that. People with little experience or have transformed themselves are turning into a trainer without having any certification, so it’s better you opt for certified one.
2. Planning: After hiring a PT, make sure you tell him or her about your plan. For example, if your plan is to gain muscle but you have a lot of body fat, then ask his or her opinion what you should go for first. If he says to start your journey with cardio over exercises then ask him for evidence.
3. Time Management: Make sure your trainer is available when you want. For example: if you’re free in morning then he should be there to assist you.
4. Training: He or she should guide you through all the exercises and should tell you its importance and work.
5. Nutrition: Little bit guidance would work but I would recommend you to hire a sports nutritionist as well. Personal trainer is mostly good in training. If you have hired a coach then the story is different because a coach and a trainer are both different things. A coach might have knowledge and certifications in both the fields.
6. Duty Time: Your perfect personal trainer should keep his or her phone aside when training his or her client. His or her first priority should be client’s training. He or she should also ignore duo training, for example, he or she should not train two clients together this will decrease the quality time for each client (due to various reasons like training type, specialization, etc).
7. Evidence: Whatever your trainer says always ask him or her for evidence. This will also help you to grow and get knowledge in this field.
8. Work Experience: Always ask how much experience he or she has. See his or her background in and out and then decide.
9. Plan of action: Make sure your trainer listens to your demands and requirements. He should ask you your history, training experience, etc. He shouldn’t bluff about exercises & nutrition.
Read More: How to Drink Without Losing Muscle?
10. Relationship: You should have a strong bond with a trainer. A trainer can change you if you share everything which is important. Don’t hide or be shy to open up.
Hope these 10 points help you to pick a perfect personal trainer.
Yashovardhan Singh is a fitness coach with GetSetGo Fitness and a former national football player. He likes to keep a no-nonsense approach to fitness by applying scientific literature to provide results to his clients. Reach him at [email protected] for coaching.